Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Yank On A Motorbike



After I rise for the 7th day of my journey, I open the window shades to see some well needed cloud cover for my trek to the outback town of Marree. The 520KM ride ahead will be an all dirt surface and one of the trips most challenging through an area known for Afghan camel traders and date growers back at the turn of the century.
Before I leave the comforts of my accommodations in Birdsville, Sharon the ever jolly manager, rings ahead to tell the people of marree "A Yank On A Motorbike is comin yer way" I later find the cause for concern. The first 300KM of the ride I see not a man made structure, not a car, not a human, just a nervous family of Dingos scurrying across the road. If I were to encounter mechanical failure or take an unfortunate spill it could be days before I was reached! I maintain a steely focus on the ever changing dirt roads through the Sturt Stony desert. One minute I can be cruising along comfortably at a 100KM an hour then the next fishtailing through an uneven path of soft slippery sand.
After a fatiguing 300KM I make a scheduled petrol stop in the hidden town of Mungerannie, so small the fuel stop is the only hotel which is also the only pub. The structure seems abandoned, I gingerly ring the service bell to the hotel. I hear only the wind slapping a loose piece of aluminum siding against the hotels dilapidated walls. Finally a gravely voice rings out from the dark hallway, "How Ya Go Mate?" A truck wide bear of a man with a long tangled beard and head of hair to match emerges. I'm startled a first but his gentle demeanor puts me at ease. He introduces himself as " Mungerannie Phil". He invites me into his tourist famous pub which is adorned with trinkets and mementos from travelers past. Hat's, Id's, broken camera's and even locks of hair hang from the pubs walls and low ceiling. My first thought is how many tourists were seen after their stop in Mengarannie? We talk for well over an hour. Phil tells me of his plans to sell his little desert island and take his Hobie Cat boat to Alaska and hunt black bears. I'm guessing Mungerannie Phil will blend in just fine in the Northern territory.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait till you get back! I really miss you!!! :(
    be safe and keep your eyes and your heart open to your surroundings, let it all in!!

    love you,
    your sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to work on a name to call myself....Mungerannie Phil?? Dig it! Glad you're having the experience you were hoping for!

    ReplyDelete