Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Long Stretch Eastward



For the last two days I have been rocketing Eastward out of the sun scorched plains of the expansive outback. The torrid sand blasting wind slowly morphs to cooler, moisture laden air as I feel the Pacific Ocean approaching. Riding down the palm lined, twisting roads leading to Byron Bay my tension begins to ease as the aquamarine and dark blue Pacific comes into panoramic view. Byron Bay is as picturesque a beach town as I have seen! Pedicabs hustle up and down the bustling town center lined with boutique shops and organic eateries. A kingly looking white brick lighthouse is perched high atop a rocky cliff side overlooking the powder white sand of the mile long stretch of the beach below.
I find my way to the Mermaid backpacker lodge and party palace. Teams of European, Asian and Australian travelers busily occupy the lobby, slamming cheap shots, performing bad Karaoke and cannonballing into the hotel pool. Its as if I have stumbled into the set of some teen, party vacation movie! That night I toasted many a new friend and as soon as we meet I toast a farewell as I only have one night in this bay side paradise.
Back in my room under the influence of many a Coopers sparkling ale,peaking my appetite, I set out in search of a late night feast! Walking down the still busy late night streets, I begin to contemplate the horrible state of Australian cuisine. Being close relatives of the inhabitants of the British isles, the Aussies have adopted the Brits menu of meat pies, sausages and deep fried meats. Finding palatable meals has been mostly a losing battle. Oh, how I long for my beloved burritos and sushi!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment