Friday, November 6, 2009

Resilience



After 8 days of dirt and tarmac in the review mirror my body begins to feel the punishment it has been dealt. The physical fatigue gives way to mental letdown as infirmity finds a path to my core. Its time to employ my Kenyan marathon runners strategy: run a 5K at a time and not the seemingly insurmountable distance all at once. I have used this blueprint with past struggles and am confidant it will work.
Leaving the Aboriginal town of Marree, I embark onto another long stretch of meandering washboard dirt track. Not long after I begin, I notice a pair of flickering headlights behind me, shadowing my changes in speed. More slasher movie scenarios begin to play out in my over imaginative brain, "American tourist disappears in the outback without a trace" I speed toward the tiny town of Parachina and immediately pull off to the side of the road. The suspect vehicle pulls up to my side, the window slowly turns down, Mengarinne Phil I say in a cracked voice! Phil says hes followed me to ensure my safe passage on the unsafe road. I never would have pictured the image of Mengarinne Phil as my guardian angel. He wishes me a safe and speedy journey and motors off toward Adelaide.
On the ride through Flinders National park I watch the pink feathered wild Cockatoos flutter through the crimson red sandstone cliffs, their piercing squawks echoing through the canyons. I begin to feel invigorated weaving through these ancient and dramatic landscapes on my way to Wipena Pound resort, my lodging for the evening.
Wilpena pound turns out to be a first class resort with posh rooms, crystal clear swimming pool and manicured nature hiking trails. I dont mind paying the $180 a night for the single room with the 50 inch flat screen tv, I think I deserve it at this point!

No comments:

Post a Comment