Monday, November 2, 2009

The Fuzz



After a very nervewracking and disorienting two hour detour I find myself back on a civilized road onto the city of Windorah known for its solar power research. On the outskirts of town sit five gleaming solar shields pointing toward the never ending sun. I check into my cabin style hotel and set out to find a grub n pub, I step through the door at the first of the only two possible pubs in this town of 80 people. Behind me I hear "you moind steppin outsoid" I turn around to see a heavily muscled, stubby man wearing running shorts and construction boots. He was holding out a folding wallet with a shiny police badge dangling at the end of it. Judging by his body language I sense he is exremely agitated. He squacks out "what gives you the roit to roid around moi town helmetless", I then realize I left my helmet back in my room due to the searing heat. He continues "you just topped moi list of most annoying tourists" I attempt to give a sincere,apologetic explanation that is met with more berating and answerless questions. The little nazi is further irritated when I can only produce a learners permit. Im sure the fact im from southern California, driving a brand new BMW and a good foot taller than him didnt help my case. He waddled back to his police truck to push buttons and flip dials. I think "shit, this could be the end of my oddesey, time to problem solve" I spot a Harley sticker on the back of his truck. After what seemed an eternity, he returns, before he can speak I say "I wish Harley made an enduro bike" his expression softned, I asked, "do you ride"?, he answers, "yes" I sense his jets have cooled and I continue to beat his down with and possible commanality we might have. He hesitantly hands me back my lisence and passport and says "have a safe trip and wear your bloody helmet! I thank him and head back into the bar to cool my nerves with a couple of Victoria Bitters, I cant wait to leave this one horse town!!

2 comments:

  1. Smart boy!!! I hope your taking lots of pictures, even of the locals... (If you can)
    Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY !! hope the rest of your journey goes alot better!


    Love you lots
    Your sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you almost soiled yer panties,mate.. " Happy 40th " ! Now dont forget to wear your helmet so you can make it to 41...

    ReplyDelete