Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Aspiration

As with most of my lofty schemes, this one began well after the 11pm hour with a couple generous pours of syrah. I've heard the stories of lore from Australia: The Box jellyfish has enough poison in its sticky tentacles to paralyze the entire Australian swim team, the Taipan snake can fell a creature the size of an elephant, if a funnel web spider decides to share your sleeping bag it may be your last goodnight!
I'm intrigued and decide I must investigate this habitat and I have to do it with the most favorable method to experience the weather and to survey the land, by motorcycle!
A couple of key strokes later on hotwire.com and my rountrip tickets from Los Angeles to brisbane have been purchased! The next day I reserve my BMW 650cc Dakar enduro motorcycle from a small shop in Noosa on the Gold coast. The itinerary of cities I will travel through reads like a J.R.R Tolkien novel: Birdsville, Wilpena pound, Maree, Longreach, Broken Hill and others.
The total distance of the journey, 5500 Kilometers or 3500 miles, mostly dirt, above 100 degrees and moderately to very dangerous! What have I gotten myself into?

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you made it to Aus. I have some friends going to Noosa this weekend for a big Tri. It is supposed to be the largest in the country. Like everything they do here, it should be a big party.
    Greg

    ReplyDelete